The Halton Hills Public Library has a large and comprehensive collection of local history materials featuring images, photographs, newspapers, documents and more. Many of these items are available online though our ever-growing digital content.
Through longstanding partnerships and generous donations from the Esquesing Historical Society Society's and the Halton-Peel Ontario Genealogical Society, the Library has expanded its digital content. Through the Our Digital World, most of the local newspapers including the Acton Free Press, Georgetown Herald, Independent and Free Press, Acton Tanner as well as some of the smaller newspaper runs such as the Halton Hills This Week and Georgetown Gemini are available online in full-text searchable documents.
The Halton Hills Public Library's Georgetown Branch is home to Esquesing Historical Society's growing archival collection. This collection features thousands of photographs and images, family histories, and other documents detailing the history of the people and places in Esquesing Township.
Thanks to a generous donation from the Georgetown Homecoming Committee in 2007 and ongoing support from the Esquesing Historical Society, the Library's Local History Room was enhanced during the recent renovations. The new room holds the local history and microform collections as well as a small meeting room and an expanded archive. There are plenty of display spaces to highlight local memorabilia as well as comfortable seating and tables to delve into the local history of our community.
Genealogical print materials can be found in the Library collection by searching Genealogy in the print collection. Many genealogyical tools are available through interlibrary loan. Microfilm can be ordered from national and provincial archives.
Partners in Local History:
- Esquesing Historical Society
- Halton Peel Branch Ontario Genealogical Society
- Ontario Genealogical Society
- Our Digital World
eResources of Interest:
- Halton Images - A vitural gallery of historical photographs, books, drawings, maps, videos, audio recordings, and other media from Halton Region.
- Halton Hills Newspapers - Search full text articles of the local Halton Hills newspaper archives including the Acton Free Press, Georgetown Herald, Independent & Free Press, and Acton Tanner as well as some of the smaller newspaper runs such as Halton Hills This Week and Georgetown Gemini.
- Halton News - Search for articles in the local newspaper archives of Milton, Burlington, Oakville, Halton Hills and Erin.
- Genealogical and Local History Research
- Ancestry Library Edition - An essential genealogical tool with thousands of databases and billions of names, including census, vital, church, court, immigration records and more. International coverage including Canada. Access is available in library only.
- Community Heritage Ontario is a province-wide, non-profit umbrella organization of municipally appointed heritage committees.