Welcome to the KIDS area of the library!
On this page, you'll find all the latest news on our programs, as well as suggestions to help with homework.
The Library's Early Literacy Programs support your child's school readiness and love of reading. Click the following link to view the Early Literacy Programs brochure.
To register online for a program, please search the program name in our online catalogue. All of our programs for preschool and school age kids are listed below with descriptions.
Book a Visit
To book a group visit to the library, please fill out the Online Booking Form.
- Stories, music and lots of fun for families with young children. You don’t need to register – just drop in!
Baby Rhyme & Romp
- A free, one-hour program for newborn – 23 month olds. Baby Rhyme & Romp includes thirty minutes of nursery rhymes, music, puppets, and bounce and tickle rhymes. Then, we’ll pull out the educational toys, and parents/caregivers can play and socialize. You don’t need to register – just drop in!
- Music, rhythm, rhymes and puppets for babies aged newborn – 23 months and the grown-ups who love them! One child per adult recommended.
Tales for Twos
- Picture books, felt board stories, music, puppets, and creative movement for you and your two-year-old (24 – 35 months). One child per adult recommended.
- KinderPrep is a thirty-minute program that helps prepare children for Kindergarten. This program has the stories, music and puppets that kids love, but also includes a focus on literacy, numeracy, patterning, and other early-learning concepts. Children aged 3 – 5 years attend on their own with adults remaining in the building.
School Age Programs
- Our Jr. Cocoa Club, for ages 7-9, and Cocoa Club, for ages 10-12, are great for children that love to read! These programs run through the school year and consist of monthly meetings with book discussions, snacks and book-related activities.
Summer Reading Club
- Our summer reading club will keep kids reading over the summer months! Read at home and earn prizes! The fun begins on Saturday, June 17 at our Summer Reading Club Launch.
- Love to build with Lego and looking for a new adventure? During this 8-week program kids 9-13 will learn how to assemble a motorized Lego robot and to program it to solve weekly challenges. There is a fee.
Research at the Library
The Library has many resources to help you master any homework that comes your way! Here’s a list of some of our resources:
- Librarians! Yep, real people who are ready to help you find what you need
- Study Rooms are available in both the Acton Branch and the Georgetown Branch
- Books on any and all topics
- Great eResources like Primary Search and Kids InfoBits
- Internet access
- DVDs, both factual (non-fiction) and imaginative (fiction)
- Newspapers, magazines and more!